Saturday, 28 February 2009
Camí de la Cartoixa, Castell de Montjuïc
Castell de Montjuïc in its present-day form was built in 1751, designed by military engineer Juan Martín Cermeño. A fort was first built on this site in 1640 during the revolt against Felipe IV. A moat surrounds the fortress on all but its eastern side, which overlooks the steep fall of Montjuïc to the sea. Camí de la Cartoixa winds round the western side. Steps at various points descend to the moat, whose broad course follows the irregular line of the fort's exterior walls.
Rounding one of the corners the symmetrical arrangement of shrubs and plants of a garden, and then around a further corner a stand of three trees, underneath which benches, looking on to other lines.