This Victorian red brick building, gutted by fire in 1946, is part of Osney Mill, taken over in 1898 by William Henry Munsey, whose family still owns the site. It is seen here from Osney lock, built in 1790 by the inmates of Oxford prison for the Thames Navigation Commission. At the rear of the mill complex not accessible to the public are the only remains of Osney Abbey - a rubble stone building with queen post roof and stone archway dating from the 15th century. The rest of the abbey lies below Osney cemetery (1848), now disused.
[Early 20th century photograph: source.]