Saturday, 18 April 2009
Thames path, near Kings Lock
Sheep graze this grassland on the approach to Kings Lock coming from Godstow bridge under the Oxford ring road. Kings Lock goes back to 1289, then called Kingisweire (kin = cattle), a flash weir trapping eels and fish for the locals. Occasionally one of the odd tree branches that commonly float along the Thames here metamorphoses into a wriggling eel snaking its way across the smooth surface from one bank to the other.